Welcome to the Louisiana Association for Play Therapy
The purpose of LAPT is to advance the Practice of Play Therapy through Education, Training, and Advocacy.
The members and officers of LAPT welcome your membership and participation in this growing organization!
LAPT believes in promoting the understanding and value of play therapy, high standards of professional and ethical practice, and advocating for our membership. Join us!
We look forward to meeting you soon!
News & Announcements
REGISTRATION for LAPT Conference on February 26 & 27, 2021.
(1/15/21) The annual LAPT conference will be held virtually February 26 & 27, 2021. Click here to REGISTER
Call for Louisiana Association for Play Therapy (LAPT) Board Nominations
(1/8/21) It is our pleasure to announce a call for nominations for the 2021-2023 Louisiana Association for Play Therapy board. We are taking nominations for the following position:
The term for the above position starts at the time of announcement at the annual conference
and serves two year terms as president elect (then two terms as president and two terms as past president).
The following is the job descriptions for the open position:
- Shall become the President of LAPT after two years.
- Shall become the President upon the death or resignation of the President and will serve the unexpired term of the President as well as the following term.
- Shall preside in the absence of the President.
- Shall assist the Nominations and Elections Chairperson with the nominations and election process of LAPT.
- Shall serve on the Executive Committee of the Board.
- Shall work toward the achievement of the goals and objectives of LAPT.
- President: Krystal Vaughn, Ph.D., NCC. LPC-S, Registered Play Therapist – Supervisor
- President: Elect, Kenneth Schmitt, NCC. LPC-S Registered Play Therapist
- Past-President: Laura Fazio-Griffith, Ph.D., NCC. LPC-S., LMFT., Registered Play Therapist - Supervisor
- Secretary: Nicole Bartlett, LPC-S, Registered Play Therapist
- Treasurer, Amanda Chapoton, LPC-S., LMFT Registered Play Therapist
- Communications Committee: Megan Long, LPC, CRC, NCC and Emily Prevot, LPC
- Speaker Coordinator Committee: Laura Fazio-Griffith, Ph.D., NCC, LPC-S., LMFT, Registered Play Therapist - Supervisor
- Gold Branch / Historian: Marcia Cox, LCSW Registered Play Therapist – Supervisor
- Legislative, Ethics & By-laws Committee: Carolyn Ellender, LCSW, LPC Registered Play Therapist – Supervisor
- Membership Committee: Kathryn Hill LPC-S, Registered Play Therapist-Supervisor and Adrianne Frischhertz, Ph.D., LPC-S, Registered Play Therapist-Supervisor
- Promotions & Publicity South Committee: Nicole Snyder, NCC, LPC-S, Registered Play Therapist-Supervisor
- Promotions & Publicity North Committee: Emily Vincent, LCSW, Registered Play Therapist
- Workshops & Conferences Committee: Wendy Q. Durant, LPC-S, Registered Play Therapist – Supervisor and Deatrice Green, NCC, LPC-S, Registered Play Therapist
Please complete the attached form (Rich Text RTF version or MS Word DOC version) and submit to Laura.firstname.lastname@example.org. Nominees must be a member of LAPT and have previously served on the LAPT board in a leadership role. If you are nominating someone other than yourself, please include your contact information as well. Nominations need to be received no later than 5:00 p.m. on January 20, 2021. Votes will be anonymously collected through a third party survey platform and results will be announced via email and at our annual conference. Please remember, if you are nominating someone other than yourself, get permission from the nominee before you nominate them.
2020 Disaster Grant Application
(11/10/20) The LAPT Board is offering the "2020 Disaster Grant Application" for those effected by the recent hurricanes and named storms. Click here for a simple 2 page application. Completed applications will be accepted until 6:00 p.m. on Thursday, December 10, 2020. Instructions are included in the body of the document.
LAPT Conference will be held virtually February 26 & 27, 2021.
(11/6/20) The annual LAPT conference will be held virtually February 26 & 27, 2021. However, we invite you to nominate yourself or a colleague for an award! (See below) LAPT enjoys recognizing professionals who are doing outstanding work within the play therapy field. Please review the award options and nominate anyone whom you feel is deserving.
Awards will be announced at our annual conference, we hope to "see" you there for a weekend filled with learning, play, and connection.
Krystal M. Vaughn, Ph.D, NCC, LPC-S, CRC
Registered Play Therapist-Supervisor
Call for Poster Presentations
(11/19/20) If you are interested in presenting a poster for the LAPT 2021 conference, please download and fill out this document. Since the 2021 conference will be held virtually, all poster presentations will need to be recorded.
Nominations are now being accepted for the Louisiana Association for Play Therapy Awards to be presented at the LAPT Conference in New Orleans, February 26 & 27, 2021.
****The deadline for submissions and supporting documents December 4, 2021.
Nominations are welcome for the following 6 award categories:
- New Supervisor Award*
An RPT-S who received their supervision credential within the past 1-2 years and has demonstrated commitment to the profession as an outstanding new play therapy supervisor. Current supervisees and colleagues are encouraged to nominate.
- Senior Supervisor Award*
A RPT-S who received their play therapy supervision credential 5 or more years ago and has continuously demonstrated commitment to the play therapy profession as an outstanding play therapy supervisor and leader among supervisees and colleagues. Past and present supervisees are strongly encouraged to nominate as well as colleagues.
- Junior Play Therapy Educator Award*
A professional with 1-3 years of experience as a play therapy educator. Demonstrates commitment and willingness to expand their leadership potential to the profession of play therapy education and supervision.
- Senior Play Therapy Educator Award*
RPT-S professional with 5 or more years of experience as a play therapy educator. Demonstrates a strong and visible commitment to play therapy education and supervision through professional and program leadership, teaching, and mentorship as a model for the profession of counseling for students.
- Professional Play Therapy Clinician Award
A professional with more than 2 years of play therapy clinical experience. Demonstrating a strong identification as a play therapist in a clinic, school, hospital, or non-profit. This person currently provides play therapy interventions.
- Student Play Therapy Award
A current graduate level student who shows exceptional play therapy skills and abilities as evidenced by either clinical service or research in the field of play therapy.
2021 Virtual Conference Scholarships
(12/9/20) If you are a student or professional starting your career and would like to attend the LAPT 2021 conference, we are offering a limited number of scholarships for the conference which will be held virtually on February 26-27 2021. See Scholarships for LAPT Conference.docx for details.
Announcing the Louisiana Association for Play Therapy VIRTUAL 2021 Annual Conference - February 26-27, 2021
(Update 11/6/20) The Board has just decided to move to a virtual platform due to COVID restrictions/rules at Loyola for 2020-2021. We are working to secure the platform, etc., and information will be published here and sent via eblast when finalized.
It is with great pleasure that the Louisiana Association for Play Therapy board announces the speaker for our 2021 Annual Conference – Scott Riviere!
Scott Riviere (MS, LPC, RPT-S) holds a Master's of Science Degree in Counseling Psychology from the University of Southern Mississippi and successfully completed the Child and Family track of the program. Since 1996, Scott has dedicated his practice to bringing out the best in children, adolescents, and their families. His practice in limited to children from 2-18 years old.
Kids Interactive Discovery Zone is Louisiana's first Play Therapy Institute. K.I.D.Z., Inc. was founded in 1996 by Scott Riviere and he is fully licensed by the state of Louisiana and holds the Registered Play Therapist-Supervisor credential.
The 2021 conference will feature the following topics:
- Friday, February 26, 2021: Filial Play Therapy
- Saturday, February 27, 2021: Not In My Playroom: A Guide to Limit Setting
Other Items of Interest
Register Your Email Address
We use MailChimp, a widely used reputable email service, to send our newsletters and some other other bulk communications to members. If you are not receiving these emails from us, please register your email address at http://eepurl.com/bkPJZr.
Like Us on Facebook
We are now on Facebook - like us today! - LAPT Facebook Page .